Sunday, June 8, 2008

Symptoms

I thought I'd create a post to document my pregnancy symptoms so far. Some have been funny and others ... not so much.

Looking back, the first sign was having to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. I NEVER used go in the middle of the night & now I do every night. My second noticeable symptom was my insanely increased sense of smell. Matt jokes that I smell things that aren't even there. I can smell them though. I can smell water boiling in the kitchen even if I'm not in there. Seriously. It's ridiculous! That was about it as far as symptoms for weeks 4-6 of this pregnancy.

Just as I hit 6 weeks I must of had a surge of hormones because I was very emotional & irrational. I cried on and off for a day. I can laugh about it now because it was silly. I felt like Matt was abandoning me to play golf THEN poker with his friends in the SAME day. I had my own things to do so it shouldn't have been a big deal but I still felt this way. Like I said, irrational. I felt like I didn't have control over it.

Starting around week 6, a lot of smells started making my stomach queasy and I ended up gagging. Ugh, that was the first sign of morning sickness. I wish mine was just prominent during a certain time of day, like the morning. I'm told that it's a good sign indicating that the pregnancy is progressing. This is comforting except when I feel like I'm not going to make it through the workday. I've been nauseated pretty much all day, every day. For the first few days of feeling sick, I barely ate but then I discovered that I only feel better when I'm eating certain things. I need to eat something every couple of hours to get through the day. The foods that help and the foods that I crave have changed frequently too. For the first few days saltines and Cheerios helped. Now, I gag at the thought of them. I crave foods that wouldn't usually be my first choice such as French fries, Stouffer's pizza, Chinese Lo Mein noodles, Cup of Noodles, etc. Seems like this baby will love college because I lived off of some of these unhealthy foods (and cereal of course) while in college. Some days, almost nothing sounds appetizing and I have to head to the grocery store to find something to choke down. Matt has already rolled his eyes at me and my cravings. It amazes me that these cravings would happen so early in pregnancy. I guess I'd prefer cravings over gagging but right now I have both.

The worst gagging incident turned into a full blown dry heave. It was when I caught a whiff of ... Matt's hangover. Ugh, I'm gagging now at even the thought of it. What fun would it be if I didn't share that? Once a year Matt's employer takes them to a Phillies game. They rent a bus, tailgate, and have a great time. It was a late night so I wasn't awake to tell him to sleep it off in the guest room. I woke up to the smell of alcohol seeping out of his pores. Are you reading this Matt? I love you but next time you booze it up, please head straight to the guest room. I'll see you after you shower & brush your teeth ;)

I'm 7 weeks pregnant and I read that currently the baby is the size of a blueberry. Cute, right? Um, not yet. The illustrations in books of what a baby looks like from pregnancy weeks 6-8 of is amazing but honestly, the pictures look like an alien! At first the illustrations creeped me out but it was like I couldn't turn the page. Once I got past it I even paged back to see the creepy picture again. I promise I won't refer to my baby as creepy. You should see these illustrations though!

Over all, even through bouts of being emotional & irrational, sickness, and creepy alien looking illustrations ... I am LOVING this so far! I know, it's so early, but I get butterflies in my stomach when I think ... I'm going to be a MOMMA, Matt is going to be an AMAZING father, and WE are going to be a great TEAM in this as we have been all along. Even though I know it's going to be tough (tougher than I can even fathom, I'm sure), I am really excited about it.

1 comment: