Wednesday, February 17, 2010

40 bags in 40 days

Thanks to Lillian, I'll be joining the 40 bags in 40 days Lenten Challenge and I'm excited about it. Actually, I think Matt is even more psyched than I am. He de-clutters. I hold on to things. I think it stems from my childhood (likely excuse I know, but this reason is a reality). I had an unstable childhood, to put it briefly and kindly. We had to move often, leaving our friends and belongings behind. Once I had stability and things to hold on to ... I did. Now that I have the things to hold on to that matter (family, love, security), I don't feel the need to keep as many of the other things (material). I won't say that I'm completely transformed but I'm working on it.

In the spirit of the season of Lent, I will simplify.

This challenge couldn't have come at a better time for us. We have decided to change our guest bedroom into a play/craft/work space. We've had 3 overnight guests in that room over the past year. Three in a year. So, 362 days the room wasn't really used. Matt's clothes are in that closet, we've thrown clean laundry on the bed on occasion, and Matt has snoozed in there a few nights when I was snoring. We think we can get more use out of that room while still having room for overnight guests in our home. The next guests may be sleeping on an air mattress though. The bed is out of there and replaced with a desk/table and some toys. I'm searching for toy and craft supply storage now (any suggestions?). I'm also trying to figure out how I'll decorate the walls (suggestions also very welcome).

40 bags in 40 days:
1. bag of various junk from the guest room closet-garbage
2. television from guest room - donated
3. vcr from guest room - donated
4. old computer monitor - donated
5. large picture. I bought two for $10 at a warehouse sale. I thought I'd hang one (below) and reuse the frame from the other but I never got to that project - donated

6. box of books about wedding planning and 2 packs of printable place cards (we've been married for nearly 5 years. I have no purpose for these things.) - donated
7. old pillows - garbage
8. glass hurricane that I never really found a place for and a bag with two other wall hangings - donated
9. a queen-sized comforter and pillow shams - donated
10. a bag of outdoor Christmas bows and a wreath we hadn't used in years - donated

I'm starting off a little ahead but I plan to think about this and work on this for the next 39 days and hopefully beyond. Thinking about how uncluttered our house will become by Easter makes me happy.

As I was leaving the Salvation Army after dropping off these things this afternoon there was a second where I thought "Oh no, am I going to miss any of those things?". Then thought about how someone else will get use out of them and I felt relieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment